Menu

Ageing/Geriatric Pets

Opening Hours

Monday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Tuesday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Wednesday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Thursday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Friday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Saturday
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Sunday
Closed
Sunday & Public Holidays: Closed

As pets get older, similar to humans, various things start to deteriorate.

Many specific problems do affect different animals and breeds. This can be picked up by a simple examination and often diagnostic testing is required.

The gold standard for pets over the age of 7 is to have a geriatric check up and blood test once every 12 months to ensure we pick up on any changes before they become problematic.

If we have identified any issues, food types can be changed or improved and medication can be perscribed to improve your animals life for the next few years.

Thyroid issues also affect both cat and dog although in opposite directions . Cats become hyperthyroid due to a slow growing growth in their thyroid glands that produces too much thyroid hormone that sends metabolism into hyperdrive so you get a hungry cat but still loosing weight.

Dogs on the other hand get a hypothyroid condition similar to humans where the body attacks the thyroid gland (autoimmune thyroiditis) that results in lethargy, weight gain, skin conditions and may be seen as puffy ankles and face . Both conditions cause heart damage so early intervention is needed. Routine blood tests pick these conditions up easily even before I can see clinical signs .

Cats often suffer kidney damage and failure more so than dogs. When we see kidney damage in the blood test we can say that 75% of the kidneys are damaged beyond repair and we have to manage the remaining 25%. Saying that there are some excellent treatments and food changes that will improve the situation and provide a happy final few years of life.

If you have an Emergency with your pet during our closed hours please see below for a list Emergency clinics in Auckland.

Please do not go to the emergency clinic if it is not urgent/life threatening. ( Runny eyes/nose , coughing , limping , itching & etc can wait until the morning to be seen by your day vet ) 

If you are very worried or unsure if you are dealing with an emergency about your pet after clinic hours and you are a client with us you can reach Dr Chris on his emergency phone until 10pm or again from 7am.

 - Dr Chris Laurenson - 027 544 4427 

EMERGENCY CLINICS:

 

Animal Referral Centre - ( 09 281 5815 )  - 8  Hereford  St ,  Freemans Bay   &  224 Albany Highway, Schnapper Rock, Auckland.

Western After Hours Emergency Vet Clinic - ( 09 820 7273 ) - 2/348 Rosebank Road, Avondale, Auckland.

Animal Emergency West Auckland – (09 849 2121) – 1/133 Central Park Drive, Henderson, Auckland.

Animal Emergency Sylvia Park – (09 849 2121) – 1 Te Apunga Place, Mt Wellington, Auckland

North Shore Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care - ( 09 443 5640 )  - 96b Ellice Road, Glenfield, Auckland.

Manukau After Hours Veterinary Clinic - ( 09 277 8383 ) - 15 Jack Conway Avenue, Manukau City Centre, Auckland.

 

 

 

 

 

Opening Hours

Monday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Tuesday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Wednesday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Thursday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Friday
8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Saturday
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Sunday
Closed
Sunday & Public Holidays: Closed